|Dr. & Mrs. August Karl Reischauer|
It was founded in Tokyo in 1920 by Dr. & Mrs. August Karl Reischauer, the parents of Dr. Edwin O. Reischauer, the former U.S. Ambassador to Japan and Professor at Harvard University.
While Dr. & Mrs. Reischauer were serving as missionaries in Tokyo, their daughter Felicia lost her hearing because of high fever from pneumonia when she was only two months old.
They sought help through education, and Mrs. Reischauer took her daughter back to the U.S. to put her in one of the oral schools for the deaf in Chicago.
Read more (English):