Interpreting provided for the Deaf at regular plenary meeting of local town council in March

Interpreting was provided for Deaf persons during a general question session at the first regular plenary meeting of the Hayama Town Council in Kanagawa Prefecture, a neighboring area of Tokyo, on March 24, 2009. Such interpreting in the assembly hall was first according to this town council secretariat.

An assembly member asked questions taking up one of the Town's political measures, titled "the promotion of the social participation of the persons who are Deaf and hard of hearing", which was interpreted simultaneously in the assembly hall.

A Deaf resident visited the welfare office in the Town Hall and requested the hearing during the question session. The chairperson of the council accepted it. Then interpreting was offered in the assembly hall.

The welfare officials said that when the first regular plenary meeting was held in February last year, the interpreting was done in the observation area, but it was pointed out that it was so far from the the assembly hall that the Deaf viewers had a difficult time to see how the session was carried out.

The Hayama Town Hall has responded to the Deaf community such as by arranging the interpreter twice a month at the reception on the first floor of the Town Hall, etc.


Source in Japanese:
http://www.kanaloco.jp/localnews/entry/entryivmar0903532/

1 comment:

Redeem Arachne said...

Hi there, I came across you're blog when I was researching for my term paper about Japanese sign language and deaf culture. I would be interested in asking you some questions about this subject since you probably have more of an insight than I do about this. I have also done research into American sign and deaf culture and find this subject very interesting. :)

I'm currently living in Japan while going to Temple University, so if possible a real meeting would absolutely make my day. I tried finding an e-mail to contact you on, but there's none in your profile or whatnot. If you could e-mail me back, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Caitlin (Radioactivepenquin@gmail.com)