JFD commissioned by Ministry of Health and Welfare to set up Videocassette Library Project
- Michinori Nakahashi of Toyama City, who becomes deaf at the age of two from severe illness, employed to be first deaf officer in the maintenance and repairs section in Toyama City Hall.
- JFD commissioned by Ministry of Health and Welfare to set up committee to investigate and examine Sign Language interpreter services.
- "Report on Research Concerning Sign Language Interpreting Services" submitted to Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- 1.2 million copies of "I Love Communication," pamphlet on communication through sign language, distributed.
Deaf political candidate not allowed to have his campaign speeches interpreted. This sparks nationwide campaign to allow sign language interpretation for election campaign speeches.
- WFD decides at 10th World Congress of the Deaf in Finland to hold next World Congress in Japan.
- First higher institution for the Deaf, "Tsukuba College of Technology," established in Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture.
- JFD's Senior Section formed in Okayama Prefecture.
- "Report on Research Regarding Issues Including Standardization of Certification Exams for Sign Language Interpreters" submitted to Ministry of Health and Welfare.